Passing along the info. Let me know if anyone attends this and how it was. I know some people had a really good time last year.
Third Annual “Indiana Homebrew Club Day” Brew-B-Q 2009 on Saturday, June 6th !!!
Fellow Indiana Homebrew Club Members,
The big day is rapidly approaching! Hopefully everyone already has this on their calendar. The past 2 year’s events have been huge successes and this year’s looks like it will be even bigger and better. Last year, we once again had about 100 people in attendance, but we would have had even more if half the state hadn’t been underwater on the day of the event. Also once again, there were about 12 or 14 Indiana clubs represented (there are now 16 clubs – I think). Clubs from the far southern and northern parts of the state both attended. Everyone that attended commented that it was a truly great event and one they were glad they didn’t miss. Let’s make this year’s event even better. Here are all the details…
EVENT NAME: Brew-B-Q 2009 – The Third Annual Gathering of Indiana Homebrew Clubs
COST: FREE – But if you can spare a couple bucks donation to help cover some expenses, that would be great. Note: The FBI covers all the upfront costs, but some voluntary donations to try to help us break even are greatly appreciated and will insure that this great day can continue to happen.
DATE / TIME: Saturday, June 6th, 2:00 – 6:00 pm
LOCATION: Great Fermentations homebrew shop at 5127 E. 65th Street in Indianapolis. This is just inside the NE corner of the I-465 interstate loop, so it is very convenient to get to (see directions below). Anita Johnson, the owner of Great Fermentations, has once again graciously offered up the parking lot of her facility for this gathering. Thanks, Anita!
WHY YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS IT: One of the featured attractions for this event is clear from the name, Brew-B-Q. One of the FBI members, Frank Petrarca, has a giant smoker and cooks up some awesome smoked meats. Frank has been known to stay up all night the night before the event to prepare an incredible selection of smoked meats. Thanks Frank! Various FBI members will also be providing an assortment of chips and side dishes, but your contributions are welcomed and appreciated. Last, but certainly not least, there will be plenty of homebrew for sampling. Please bring whatever you would like to share. Last year, several clubs went all out, with custom jockey boxes, lots of kegs of beer, etc., and one club even brewed a batch of beer at the event out of a car (the Brewmobile) and gave away the beer as a door prize! Whether you go all out or can just show up, it doesn’t matter, just come and enjoy the day.
Some other great reasons to not miss this event include:
— Although technically a little early, the State Fair Brewers Cup is allowing people attending the Brew-B-Q from around the state to drop off their entries at Great Fermentations while they are there. Also, multiple BJCP judges will be available if you want some advice on the best category to enter your beer in. Just bring an extra bottle or two for this evaluation.
— Door Prizes, Door Prizes, Door Prizes – In past years, we have had tons of door prizes including Beer Guns (donated by John Blickmann), Corny Kegs and brewing books (donated by Anita at Great Fermentations), a couple of the way-cool “Brew-B-Q” T-shirts (donated by the FBI), lots of craft beer (donated by World Class Beverages and Barley Island), and much more. We are hoping that this year’s door prize list will be equally impressive.
— World Class Beverages and some Indiana Microbrewers will either be on hand or will donate some craft beer for sampling.
— We hope to have some homebrew equipment and supplies providers in attendance to show off their latest products. Last year, the innovative John Blichmann was on hand to display and discuss his impressive list of homebrewing equipment.
— Check out Anita’s shop while you are there. While you should always support your local homebrew shop, Anita has certainly worked hard to build one of the best shops in the country, so you might find some equipment or supplies at Great Fermentations that you can’t find locally.
— We are also working on a discounted rate at a local hotel, as well as transportation to that hotel after the event, for those of you wanting to stay overnight. Contact me for details about this. PLEASE: Be sure to have a designated driver or safe transportation to your destination after the event. Don’t Drink and Drive under any circumstances.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
1) Please distribute this email to all your club members ASAP – June 6th is rapidly approaching !!!
2) Review the club list below and let me know ASAP if any changes need to be made to your club listing for the T-shirt.
3) Let me know you are coming (either individually, or someone from your club can give me a rough estimate of how many people from your club will be able to make it), and put it on your calendar. It will really help us to have a head count to plan for.
4) Plan to wear your club T-shirt if you have one, and bring some homebrew if you have any ready to drink (your favorite glass and a lawn chair will also be very helpful).
5) Prepare yourself to eat some great food, drink some great homebrew, and meet some great people / fellow homebrewers from all around the state in a fun, non-competitive environment.
6) Bring some money to order an event T-shirt. These were a big hit each of the past year. I will take paid orders and deliver your shirts to you (or someone from your club) at the Brewers Cup. Prices are the same as last year (S, M, L, XL $20, XXL $23, XXXL $24, XXXXL $26). I will be making some updates to the shirt design and club list for the 2009 version. These are high quality, professionally designed shirts with the event logo and club listing printed on the back and a small logo printed on the front.
Here is the updated list of clubs…
– Bloomington Hop Jockeys – Bloomington
– Columbus Area Classic Alers (CACA) – Columbus
– Duneland Homebrewers Association (DHBA) – Valpo / Michigan City
– Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI) – Indianapolis / Central IN
– Fossils (Fermenters of Special Southern Indiana Libations Society) – New Albany
– Homebrewers of Preferred Suds (HOPS) – Angola
– Howard County Homebrewers – Howard County
– Indiana Brewing and Drinking Society (IBADS) – Indiana
– Jasper Homebrewing Club – Jasper
– Mad Anthonys Serious Homebrewers (MASH) – Fort Wayne
– MECA Brewers – Central Indiana
– Michiana Extract & Grain Association (MEGA) – Mishawaka
– Muncie Indiana Brewers (MIB) – Muncie
– Ohio Valley Homebrewers Association (OVHA) – Evansville
– St. Gambrinus Benevolence Society – Bloomington
– Tippecanoe Homebrewers Circle (THC) – West Lafayette
Let’s make this THIRD ANNUAL INDIANA HOMEBREW CLUB DAY – BREW-B-Q 2009 a great event with all of your support. You will be glad you made the trip. Please contact me, Ron Smith, at RonSmith@MarketWiseSolutions.com with any questions, as well as to let me know if you will be coming, to put your name on my Indiana homebrewers email list (*see below), etc. You can also call me at 317-201-6535 (mob).
FBI (Foam Blowers of Indiana)
* For anyone receiving this email, whether coming to the Brew-B-Q or not, if you would like to get on my email list to be contacted about this event, various other homebrew related events and news, BJCP study group courses, etc., please just send me a reply with your name and email address.
Great Fermentations is located on the northeast side of Indianapolis between Binford Boulevard and Allisonville Road on 65th Street.
From the North: I-69 magically becomes Binford Boulevard (Highway 37) south of I-465. Follow Binford Blvd.south to 65th Street. Turn west (right) on 65th Street for 4/10ths of a mile to 5127 East 65th Street. Great Fermentations is on the south side (left) of the street.
From the South: Take I-65 North to I-70 East. Exit I-70 onto Keystone Avenue north. Follow Keystone past 38th street and turn right (or east) onto Fall Creek Parkway just after you cross a bridge. Follow Fall Creek Parkway, which magically becomes Binford Blvd., until you reach 65th Street and turn left (at the Speedway Gas Station). Follow 65th street and look for us on the south side of the street (left) about 4/10ths of a mile west of Binford.
From the West: Take I-465 North to Exit 37 (Binford Boulevard). Head south on Binford, turn west (right) on 65th Street for 4/10ths of a mile to 5127 East 65th Street on the south side (left) of the street.
From the East: Exit I-465 at 56th Street (Exit 40). Turn west (left) on 56th street and follow down a hill and over a bridge where you bear right when 56th street splits into Kessler Blvd. Follow Kessler to the second light and turn right or north onto Binford Blvd. Follow Binford to 65th street and turn left or west (at the Speedway Gas Station). About 4/10ths of a mile and on the south side of the street (left) look for us.