Check out our Better Beer Happy Hours, Etc. page for regularly scheduled specials on better beer. We are only list events here that are unique for this coming week in beer. As always, any edited listing will have UPDATE at the beginning of the listing.
Monday, May 16th at 5:00 pm – Rare Keg Monday at Ei8ht Ball Brewing
This week, it’s Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Cost is $10 for a ten ounce snifter.
Monday, May 16th from 5:30–7:30 pm – Book signing at Moerlein Lager House
Paul L. Gaston, author of the new book Ohio’s Craft Beers and former NKY resident will be signing his book as part of American Craft Beer Week. Copies will be available for purchase at the Lager House.
Monday, May 16th at 6:00 pm – Moerlein Cintucky Common Tapping at Moerlein Lager House
This tapping is part of their American Craft Beer Week celebration.
Tuesday, May 17th from 11:30 am-1:30 pm – Book signing at Moerlein Lager House
Paul L. Gaston signing his new book Ohio’s Craft Beers as part of American Craft Beer Week. Copies will be available for purchase at the Lager House.
Tuesday, May 17th at 4:00 pm – Blueberry Lager Tappening at Rivertown Brewing
Tuesday, May 17th at 6:00 pm – Barbarossa with Cocoa Nibs Tapping at Moerlein Lager House
This tapping is part of their American Craft Beer Week celebration.
Tuesday, May 17th from 6:00-11:00 pm – Tuesday Night Braxton Bags at Ludlow Bromley Yacht Club
From Facebook: “Join us for Braxton Bags at Ludlow Bromley Yacht Club every Tuesday night this Summer! We’ll be playing cornhole and filling buckets of Storm and Crank Shaft cans for only $16 for everyone playing. The winning team each week will be placed in a raffle to win a Braxton prize basket. Or, you can join us for a special tournament on July 30th and compete to win a Braxton-branded Yeti Cooler. It’s a great summer (and LBYC’s 20th) to lift one to life and play some Braxton Bags!”
Wednesday, May 18th at 6:00 pm – Schützenfest Kölsch Ceremonial Debut at Kolping Society of Cincinnati
Check out their Facebook event page for more information.
Thursday, May 19th at 5:00-10:00 pm – Christian Moerlein Pint Night at Cappy’s Wine and Spirits
Beers include Purity Pils, Strawberry Pig, Plum Street Wheat, Third Wave, Citrus Infused Third Wave and Blood Orange IPA.
Thursday, May 19th at 6:00-10:00 pm – Pint Night Thursdays at Cock & Bull (all three locations)
The beers for this week’s Pint Night Thursdays are: Main Strasse Covington – Braxton Tap Takeover, Glendale – Oskar Blues Mama’s Lil Yella Pils and Hyde Park – Fat Head’s/Boulder Co-Hopitation.
Thursday, May 19th at 7:00 pm – Rivertown Pint Night at Hebron Brew Haus
We frequently get updates for our Tastings and Tappings Report after our regular publishing time. Any edited listing will have UPDATE at the beginning of the listing. Don’t forget to check out our This Week in Beer post from Monday for other better beer events happening this weekend.
• Jungle Jim’s – Friday night tasting from 5:00 to 9:00 pm at both locations. Pints are usually $3. This week, they are pouring beers from Deschutes at Fairfield and from Southern Tier at Eastgate.
• Ludlow Wines – Saturday beer tasting is from 5:00-8:00 pm. The cost to taste four beers is $6.00 per person.
• Party Source – $1 beer tastings on Saturday from 12:00-1:00 pm.
• Party Town – For Friday Night Flights this week from 5:30-7:00 pm, they’re pouring from 450 North including Juice Box IPA, Dry Hopped Cider, and Bourbon Barrel Aged Triple. Draft by the glass pours will be $3.00 and include a complimentary 450 North pint glass for the first 72 guests. It’s $2.00 for the regular sample flights. Only adults age 21 or more are admitted for Friday Night Flights. Limit of one sample per person. No shopping carts in the back room please.
• Whole Foods Cincinnati – Cask & Cork: Beer and Wine every Friday from 5:00 to 7:00 pm. For $5, you get five sips and six bites. Tickets sold until 6:30 pm.
TAPPINGS and RELEASES
• Ei8ht Ball Brewing – Tonight is Free Bacon Night and they will be pouring beers from TBA.
• Keystone Hyde Park – Warped Wing Mr. Mean Imperial IPA Release Party tonight at 6:00 pm.
• Rhinegeist – Puma Pils Release Party Saturday from 12:00-9:00 pm. Keep your Puma pint glass with the purchase of a Puma draft (while supplies lasts).
• Moerlein Lager House – Paul L. Gaston, author of the new book Ohio’s Craft Beers and former NKY resident, will give a presentation Sunday at 2:00 pm following by a book signing. Gaston will also be there May 16th from 5:30 – 7:30 pm and May 17th from 11:30 am-1:30 pm to sign books as part of American Craft Beer Week. Copies will be available for purchase at the Lager House.
• OTR Biergarten at Findlay Market – This weekend, they will be pouring Blank Slate Fork In The Road and Out and About.
Have a better beer weekend, everyone!
— Carla and Tom
As we mentioned earlier this week, this year’s American Craft Beer Week runs from Monday, May 12th through Sunday, May 18th. This year’s theme is “Brewnited We Stand” and the Brewers Association produced this video to celebrate the week. As they described it,
Brewers from all 50 states unite by taking “selfies” to best represent their brewery and state. Also included in the video is an American flag graphic compiled of logos from breweries in every US state.
Kentucky is Country Boy in Lexington, Indiana is Carson’s Brewery in Evansville and Ohio is represented by Cincinati’s own Christian Moerlein featuring Tom Hull, Matthew Utter and Rian Umbach.
Check out the video to see what other breweries from across the country are included. It’s nice to see a mix of old favorites and new breweries. Don’t forget to check out our listing of events in Cincinnati celebrating American Craft Beer Week 2014.
American Craft Beer Week kicks off this coming Monday and we’ve starting to get information on what various better beer locations have planned for the week. As always, we will update this listing as we get more information. Most recent additions are at the top.
Taste of Belgium Clifton
This week’s pint night features Upland.
Friday, May 16th – Upland Side Trail Series Tapping
Thursday, May 15th from 6:00-8:00 pm – Brew Kettle sampling
Tapping a different one-off each day.
Monday, May 12th – Luck Dry Irish Stout with Mexican Chiapas Coffee from Tazza Mia
Tuesday, May 13th – Zen Session IPA dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Centennial Hops
Wednesday, May 14th – Ink Russian Imperial Stout Infused with White Chocolate and Cocoa Nibs
Thursday, May 15th – Pure Fury Pale Ale dry hopped with Mosaic and Amarillo Hops
Friday, May 16th – Spike American Wheat infused with mango & tangerine and dry hopped with Citra Hops
Saturday, May 17th – Two versions of Truth IPA: Northern Hemisphere dry hopped with Centennial & Simcoe Hops and Southern Hemisphere dry hopped with Galaxy & Nelson Sauvin hops
May 13th-19th – Pizza & pint for $14, Buckets of craft beer for $20, and beer cheese soup, back by popular demand.
Ei8ht Ball Brewing
Tapping several rare Samuel Adams kegs on Wednesday, May 14th at 6:00 pm including Third Voyage (DIPA), Roggen Wolf (Rye IPA), 13th Hour (Imperial Stout), Double Bock (Doppelbock) and Porch Rocker (Radler).
–Saturday, May 10 – Art Fair 562 at Listermann Brewing Company
See their Facebook event page for more information.
Nicholson’s, The Pub Rookwood, The Pub Crestview Hills
All week – Samuel Adams Craft Beer Sampler: 5 oz. pours of Boston Lager, Rebel IPA, Angry Orchard Hard Cider & Summer Ale
Arnold’s Bar & Grill
–Monday, May 12, 6pm – Bell’s Quinnannan Falls Tapping – Only 4 kegs allocated to the state of Ohio – Quinannan Falls possesses the crisp, dry bitterness you’d expect from a German pilsner, but the use of highly aromatic hops from the Pacific Northwest in both the kettle & dry-hop evokes the fragrant pine forests that inspired this beer.
–Tuesday, May 13, 6pm – Thirsty Dog Ankle Biter Tapping – The first time this beer is being tapped outside of Akron – Ankle Biter is the brewery’s first session IPA. It is dry-hopped with Mosaic hops .
–Wednesday May 14, 6pm – Jackie O’s Oil of Aphrodite Tapping– One of Jackie O’s rarest, highly rated and sought after brews – Oil of Aphrodite is an American double stout brewed with locally harvested black walnuts from Integration Acres and Belgian candied syrup. English, German, American, and Belgian malts are accompanied by pacific northwest hops, creating a sweet and rich spring board for deep nuttiness. Lay this beer down for a while and share with friends and loved ones.
–Thursday, May 15, 4pm – Algin Retro Art Walk with Christian Moerlein Cask Conditioned Citra Dry Hopped Zeppelin Pale Ale – Visionaries + Voices, Algin Retro Furniture, Christian Moerlein and Arnold’s have teamed for an art walk stretching all the way from Algin Retro Furniture in to Arnold’s courtyard. Moerlein brewed up a special one off Cask Conditioned Citra Dry Hopped version of their ever popular Zeppelin Pale Ale. More details: https://www.facebook.com/events/674904515903393/
–Friday, May 16, 9pm – Rhinegeist Dry Hopped Truth Tapping – A one off, dry hopped variant of Rhinegeist’s intensely hopped IPA with Centennial, Citra, Amarillo and Simcoe hops.
–Saturday, May 17, 9pm – Blank Slate Bourbon Barrel Pitter Patter Tapping – We somehow managed to get our hands on a keg of the extremely limited version of Blank Slate’s ever popular Belgian Table Beer.
The Tavern Group which includes The Pub at Rookwood Mews, The Pub Crestview Hills, deSha’s and Nicholson’s announced their plan for American Craft Beer Week (May 13-19, 2013).
- Samuel Adams Craft Beer Sampler – $4.95 (5 oz. pours of Boston Lager, Summer Ale & Angry Orchard)
- Samuel Adams Pairing Menu at both Pubs – $24.95 (Four courses paired with 5oz. pours of Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat, Boston Lager, Double Agent IPL & Latitude 48 IPA)
- Samuel Adams “Keep the Pint” Night at The Pub at Rookwood Mews – May 14, 2013 (Purchase one 16oz. pint of Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Summer Ale or Angry Orchard and keep the glass. *Glasses available while supplies last. Limit one glass per person.)
- Craft Beer & Small Plate Pairing at deSha’s – May 16th – 6:30pm ($20 per person – more details coming soon. Does not include tax & gratuity. Call 513-247-9933 to make your reservation – Limited Space.)
May 17-23 — American Craft Beer Week
Monday, May 17th at 6:00 pm – Half Price Pint Night at JeanRo Bistro
Tuesday, May 18th from 5:50 to 8:00 pm – Moerlein Beer & Cheese Pairing at Milton’s
Join us Tuesday night at Milton’s as we host a Moerlein Lagers & Ales Flights & Cheese pairing, in recognition of American Craft Beer Week. Try the new Moerlein Northern Liberties IPA, as well as many other of our Original and Seasonal Selections, all matched perfectly with cheese from Findlay Market vendors. Six three ounce beer flight samples matched with cheese for only $4. $3 Happy Hour prices on all pints of Moerlein as well! Plus Moerlein brewers will be on hand to discuss the pairings.
Wednesday, May 19th from 5:30 to 8:00 pm – Beer Tasting at Marty’s Hops and Vines
Wednesday, May 19th at 6:00 pm – Pint Night at Catskeller (UC Campus)
Thursday, May 20th at 6:00-10:00 pm – Cock & Bull: Pint Night (Covington) Thursdays
This week, it’s Peroni.
Thursday, May 20th at 6:00 pm – Firkin Tapping at Rock Bottom
Friday, May 21st from 4:00-7:00 pm – Flowing Fridays Beer Tasting at Cork ‘N Bottle (Covington and Buttermilk Pike-Crescent Springs)
Friday, May 21st from 4:00-6:00 pm – Beer Tasting at D.E.P.’s Fine Wine and Spirits in Fort Thomas (formerly Liquor Direct)
Friday, May 21st from 6:00-7:00 pm – Friday Night Flights Beer Tasting at Party Town in Florence
Saturday, May 22nd from 5:00-8:00pm – Ludlow Wines: Beer Tasting